HSBC Asset Management at PRI in Person 2023
HSBC Asset Management is committed to supporting the development of a well-functioning and sustainable financial system in the interest of our investors. This is the motivation behind our active involvement in the PRI (Principles for Responsible Investment) since its foundation in 2006.
Our commitment is further strengthened in 2023 through the silver sponsorship of the PRI in Person event, where signatories and investment professionals come together and learn about the latest developments in sustainable investing and exchange on best practices.
The conference which took place in early October in Tokyo, Japan, was attended by Nicolas Moreau, Global CEO and our responsible investment experts including Cathrine de Coninck Lopez, Global Head of Responsible Investment, and Erin Leonard, Global Head of Sustainability. We would like to share with you the important insights that our delegates have gathered over the course of the three-day event.
Insights from PRI in Person 2023
‘Moving from commitments to actions’ is the theme of this year’s PRI in Person. Listen to Cathrine and Erin give an overview on the major topics discussed at the conference.
Survey on ESG and Asia
With PRI signatories, policymakers, and a diverse group of investment industry stakeholders including asset owners and foundations from around the globe gathered at the conference, we took the opportunity to inquire into their views on sustainable transition and investment in Asia through a survey. 56 participants responded and here are some highlights of the survey results.
Find out more
Accelerating climate action through technology
To further engage with participants of the conference, a cocktail event was organised on the second day of the PRI in Person event. We had the honour to invite a special guest from Google, Avrom Salsberg, Global Lead for Sustainability Scaling Partnerships & North APAC Head - Geo Product Partnerships, who shared his views on ‘accelerating climate action through technology’ alongside Michelle Hilliman, Head of Responsible Investment & Strategy Execution (HSBC Alternatives) in the format of a fireside chat.
More about PRI
With over 5,300 signatories as of June 2023, PRI has been a leading force in promoting sustainable investments and supporting international investors in embedding ESG considerations in their investment and ownership decisions since its establishment. More than just a signatory, here are some steps that we have taken to support PRI’s work.
HSBC Asset Management’s involvement in PRI
- We were one of the first asset managers signing up to the UN PRI when it was established in 2006
- Xavier Desmadryl, Global Head of ESG Research was part of the working group of investment experts who contributed to the initial definition of the Responsible Investment Principles at the foundation of the UN PRI
- Fatima Hadj, Climate Investment Strategist is the chair of the Securitised Products Committee at PRI since its creation in 2019. She is also the co-chair of the joint committee between PRI and the UN Environment Programme Finance Initiative, which launched the Principles for Responsible Banking under her initiative
- Laetitia Tankwe, Head of Sustainability Advocacy and Assurance is a member of the board of directors of PRI and the chair of the PRI Reporting and Assessment board members committee
- We are a signatory and lead investor of Advance, a stewardship initiative that PRI launched in 2022 to focus on human rights and social issues. Since our signatory, we have provided support and input to a target company on the development of a human rights framework